Friday, November 7, 2008

8: Biking in the Dark

Tonight I'll be working another late night shift, so from 8:30 pm to approximately 3 am. I have yet to see anyone throw up, but I've seen fights, I've seen people pass out, dance on tables, make out with someone's mom, play quarters into a pitcher (really? really?? no seriously, really?) and break up. I've beer spilled on me, elbows to the stomach and I've stepped on a lot of toes. It's not that bad though. It's a whole lot of jump and movement, and then long moments of waiting, but it works out.

What I like the most is the ride home. Yes, I should get a ride from someone. No, it's not safe for anyone to bike at 3 am. However, it's a well lit road and there's rarely anyone on it. I keep to the fringe, and I (illegally, yes) go against traffic so I have more control on anyone who be swerving my way (yet to happen). I love how abandoned it is, with only hotels and shut down pancake houses. I love being able to sing along to my music (posted below is an updated playlist, Saving Face, previously seen on the website). I can de-stress from the spilled beer and awkward conversations with old men, or drunk men; I've been figuring out dialogue lately, and bits of poetry; mostly though, I just listen to music and let that clean out my head. More and more I'm taking solace in the moments where I don't have the overrepresented script going, and more and more I'm finding that exists when I have music on.
Saving Face

the Airborne Toxic Event- Sometime After Midnight
Kings of Leon- Sex on Fire
Radiohead- the Bends
Yo La Tengo- Little Eyes
the Coral- Being Somebody Else
Blitzen Trapper- Furr

Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
the Clash- Straight to Hell
Damien Rice- Creep (Radiohead cover)
the National- Daughters of the Soho Riots

Damien Jurado- Gillian was a Horse
You Say Party! We Say Die!- Monster
Kevin Devine- Whistling Dixie
Bon Iver- the Wolves (Act 1 and 2)
Stars- Personal
Submarines- Brighter Discontent
Silver Jews- Suffering Jukebox
Steve Wynn- Manhattan Fault Line
Jessica Lea Mayfield- Kiss Me Again
Keren Ann- Lay Your Head Down
Radiohead- Electioneering

No comments: